- 1/2 – 2/3 cup dried chickpeas (Hodmedod’s)
- Large dessertspoon of fava bean umami paste
- 1 kombu kelp strip
- Rape seed oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 large beetroot LEAVES chopped
- Handful of spinach leaves chopped
- Handful of fresh herbs chopped
- About 1/3 cup of golden flax seed (Tesco’s) ground
- A little Hodmedod’s wholewheat flour to shape the burgers
- Apple perry vinegar (to taste)
- Sea salt (to taste)
Soak the chickpeas overnight.
Drain, rinse, and cook the next day in a stock made from the umami paste with the piece of kombu kelp (helps reduce the gas!).
Stir-fry the onion in the oil until golden, add the chopped leaves and chopped herbs.
Put the drained chickpeas in the blender with the stir-fried veggies and the ground flax seed. Add up to ¼ pint of the umami stock but make sure the mixture stays firm.
Taste and season the mixture with about 1 capful of vinegar and salt to taste. Mix well.
Shape the mixture into patties (about 4) using the flour on your hands to prevent sticking. Add a little more oil to the frying pan and cook the burgers for 4-5 mins each side until golden brown.
Enjoy with your favourite accompaniments!